Classy Games Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

☰ Open Navigation

Latest topics
Management Quota Admission Open 2018 -19 Fri May 25, 2018 7:44 amrajkapurkm
Enter as Student...Exit as Professional!!Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pmShizuka
Hello!!Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pmShizuka
Digital marketing serviceTue Jan 23, 2018 10:24 amwwwww
Digital marketing services in Bangalore IndiaTue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 amwwwww
Classy Games Project IdeasSun Dec 17, 2017 3:16 pmMatita
Awesome Music VideosSun Nov 26, 2017 8:43 pmApril
Whatever WarsMon Nov 20, 2017 9:57 amMrJamieMcC
Welcome VeteransWed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 amMatita
GroupsTue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 pmMrJamieMcC
Low Poly TankMon Nov 06, 2017 8:16 pmMrJamieMcC
What mic do i need?Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:10 pmMrJamieMcC
Moonlit Development GamesSat Nov 04, 2017 12:11 pmDylan
Mentioning UsersSat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 amMrJamieMcC
Intro to 3D positional sound in Unreal EngineFri Nov 03, 2017 6:44 pmmoradenayet
Game Off - 5th annual GitHub game jamWed Nov 01, 2017 2:54 pmMatita
Ludum Dare 40th RecruitmentTue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 pmMrJamieMcC
What is one of your favorite art styles?Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:24 pmMatita
Tips on how to approveTue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 pmMatita

Go down
Riccardo Mazzieri
Riccardo Mazzieri

Getting started with Synths Empty Getting started with Synths

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:27 pm
Hello Audio people!  cheers
We all know that every game genre has its own feeling and taste, and we composers try our best to convey it, in a personal way, but that has to be recognizable. I personally am a fan of orchestral music, I have a classical musical education (and I'm currently studying in a Conservatory here in Italy), and almost all my favourite OST from games are orchestral compositions. So I've been really focused on studying and experimenting with orchestral music, but with time I realized that I never seriously studied the world of electronic music/synths, which has a huge atmospheric power, especially in videogame music.
I started studying something on sound synthesis, I know how to use some additive syntheziers, but the thing I think I lack the most is practise and tricks/tips on how to obtain certain sounds. I always end up playing with the knobs, but except for the more basic stuff, I most likely don't know what I'm doing.

For example: I really love the steampunk atmosphere of some games (for example, Hyper Light Drifter) and with it, the typical music of that genre (those really tasty synths that reminds me a lot of the Blade Runner atmosphere), and as a musician I really feel the urge to understand this world too.

So I wanted to ask: do you have some tips/tricks on designing this kind of sounds and, more generally, have some particular advice on how I should start studying sound synthesis in a more efficient way?  Smile

Getting started with Synths Hyper-Light-Drifter-recensione-01

Below some examples of sounds I'd love to replicate:
1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiFykYJfO7Y (the synth on the initial arpeggio, and the one for the main theme too at 1:23);

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBaFqAr2mY&list=PLjPYu83VEVb6pYJ6o2KjJ3w5CfMdaSaBE&index=2 (there are some serious BladeRunner sound references, I just love them)

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RcPZdihrp4 (I love every single sound here)
moradenayet
https://moradenayet.wixsite.com/moradenayet

Getting started with Synths Empty Re: Getting started with Synths

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:09 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Ah, the great 80s and the great 80s synths. 

About HLD, I've had a little chat with Aakash (great guy btw) about his sound design process and he explained how layering was very crucial in getting a full and powerful body with the effects.

That concept carries over into the music side as well, I hear A LOT of Juno influence in these tracks, lucky for you the 80s sound is slowly creeping back into our lives so it's a wonderful time to get into the action. 

There are a plethora of 80s synth VSTs that will help you achieve that sound like: TAL U-NO-LX, U-He Diva, FM8, Dexed and my personal favorite, Obxd. I also highly recommend Arturia's V Collection, it's got great emulations of the CS-80, Minimoog, Farfisa, Prophet, among others.

As for effects, reverb is a must with this sound, something like Valhalla VintageVerb would work very nicely.

And remember, layering layering layering!

Here are some of my favorite Synthwave/80s inspired music:

Perturbator - Humans Are Such Easy Prey
Carpenter Brut - Trilogy (Album)
Miami Nights 1984 - Accelerated
Zombie Hyperdrive - Red Eyes
Miami Nights 1984 - Ocean Drive

Also, if you're feeling adventurous, I once put out a Synthwave record myself: Chrome Prophet - Hybrid Breed

Let me know if you have any questions!
Riccardo Mazzieri
Riccardo Mazzieri

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:00 pm
moradenayet wrote:Ah, the great 80s and the great 80s synths. 

About HLD, I've had a little chat with Aakash (great guy btw) about his sound design process and he explained how layering was very crucial in getting a full and powerful body with the effects.

That concept carries over into the music side as well, I hear A LOT of Juno influence in these tracks, lucky for you the 80s sound is slowly creeping back into our lives so it's a wonderful time to get into the action. 

There are a plethora of 80s synth VSTs that will help you achieve that sound like: TAL U-NO-LX, U-He Diva, FM8, Dexed and my personal favorite, Obxd. I also highly recommend Arturia's V Collection, it's got great emulations of the CS-80, Minimoog, Farfisa, Prophet, among others.

As for effects, reverb is a must with this sound, something like Valhalla VintageVerb would work very nicely.

And remember, layering layering layering!

Here are some of my favorite Synthwave/80s inspired music:

Perturbator - Humans Are Such Easy Prey
Carpenter Brut - Trilogy (Album)
Miami Nights 1984 - Accelerated
Zombie Hyperdrive - Red Eyes
Miami Nights 1984 - Ocean Drive

Also, if you're feeling adventurous, I once put out a Synthwave record myself: Chrome Prophet - Hybrid Breed

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you Morad, awesome answer! I know Akash by fame, I follow his YouTube channel and his videos helped me a lot on getting started in the world of Sound Design! Yes, I know layering is the greatest thing ever when it comes to Sound Design, but yeah, in this particular topic my main concern was to get started with Synths, and I will definitely check out the plugins you suggested! Thanks a lot  Smile 

P.S.: I've listened to your record already some time ago, you definitely know what you are doing man, GREAT stuff.  Shocked I hope to get this good  as well one day!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum